Saturday, September 27, 2014

Shuttle comments on Corgi AA27201 Vulcan XH558.

Shuttle on DAF has posted his views on the new Corgi Vulcan release. He often posts pre-production photos on the forum and his Duxford Reports are replicated on this blog.

I have so far refrained from commenting on this model until I get a production sample. However, I think it is a good tooling and has a lot of potential for future releases as there are options for Blue Steel etc. What is the major disappointment is the colours of this first release. Whatever way you look at it Corgi used the wrong grey for the base colour. This was not specified to them (the correct medium sea grey was though) and as Craig and I posted several times over the last few months we were reassured that the colours were going to be correct on the production model. The first painted PP had the correct shade of grey but the green was wrong. However, it looks miles better than the production version IMHO. We managed to get the additional Photo Etch parts added and other details corrected but until I can review the PP against the production model I am holding back on any comments. 

I have seen one on display at Antics in Plymouth and again, the grey just dominated my impression of this first release. There was no excuse to getting it wrong and somewhere along the line, despite reassurances, someone took the decision to specify dark sea grey as opposed to medium sea grey. This decision has dominated this release and if it hadn't have happened I am sure that there would have been far less negative debate over this model. With any first release of a new tooling there will be issues and these normally are factory errors or quality control errors. For such a large and ambitious model I would have tolerated a small number of these (to a point) and hopefully eliminate them in furore releases. I cannot defend such a basic error as a wrong colour when there is so much evidence available - schoolboy stuff.

The basic tooling is good and here is optimism for future releases. I am sure many people will be delighted with this release and hopefully, for Corgi's sake, they will sell all 4000. However, for me it is a major disappointment that a simple issue, easily corrected before production, has blighted this release.

 Shuttle

No comments:

Post a Comment