Monday, September 9, 2013

Shuttle's Report - Duxford September Airshow.


On Sunday I arrived at Duxford at about 8.30 and parked near Land Warfare. I had a full complement of Shuttle Junior plus some of his school friends so I spent most of the morning acting as 'tour guide' and didn't get much chance to look for any bargains. However, at 11.00 AM I headed towards the normal Forum RV and spotted Kev. He quickly informed me that DAF legend Red2 was onsite and sure enough Athol turned up for a memorable DAF forum veterans meeting...!! He was in good form but explained that the familiar issues of work, children and other factors has meant that his forum participation was now very rare. This seems to have affected quite a few forum members over the last few years. I am happy to report that he is in fine fettle and working hard so maybe we may see the odd post in the future?

I was shocked by the lack of any quality diecast for sale. I could not find any of the new Corgi Me-109's and the Lynx was £45 everywhere so I held back. In the end I settled for the excellent looking Aviation72 Bulldog for £25. I too ventured onto the small tent selling the Armour 1/48 planes plus other diecast but it was too packed and cramped so I quickly ducked out. Only the ever dependable Pete at 'Aces High' had diecast of any note plus the ARD stand. The rest seemed to be in little clusters on (second hand) plastic kit stands and I didn't have time to trawl around.

A quick visit to the Corgi stand was interesting and I spotted Lev on the prowl. The Vulcan resin pre-pro was superb and I am hoping collectors will be delighted by the next catalogue. 

The weather interrupted some of the flying and hats off to the B-25 crew who seemed happy to take to the air as much as possible and also display during the rain. The various displays were all very good but at least two big downpours were a problem and I was glad I was mainly standing by the car so could take shelter during the brief deluge. The BBMF display was short due to the rain and I left before the Red Arrows were due to display (did they turn up)?

So an unusual September Duxford air show for me due to family commitments etc and the rain was a real pain. I think all the good diecast went on Saturday......

Some photos.

 Shuttle









No comments:

Post a Comment