Saturday, September 14, 2013

Shuttle's insights into new Corgi Catalogue.

Many will be familiar with the Duxford Reports by Shuttle from the Diecast Aviation Forum aka DAF. He also is involved with Corgi along with a few other members of the forum assisting in bringing collectors more accurate models and potentially schemes people would like to see. 

Here are some of his comments from the forum which I hope will provide some context for what we see in this catalogue.

OK, interesting reading so far and I am neither surprised or alarmed by some of the comments. I think this catalogue needs to be viewed within certain contexts including the fact(s) that:
  • It is the first 6 months of the year and more tools are coming in the second half
  • The Vulcan tooling is a very large undertaking and is absorbing a lot of tool budget and development time
  • A couple of anniversaries are being catered for (D-Day and WWI)
  • Some themes are being developed (inter war as an example)
  • Some tools/themes are being 'rested'

I was both pleasantly surprised by some of the choices (and can I repeat that the large percentage of these originated from Corgi) and initially a bit surprised to see the Mosquito, Valiant and B-25. 


Mosquito

There was a bit of discussion over the types of aircraft that could be done for D-Day. I think the D-Day striped Mossie is one that has been asked for in the past and I presume that Corgi are getting as much out of this tooling as possible? I can't believe we will see another 1/32 scale Mossie for a long time but knowing how much aggro it was to get the tooling parts found (and I think a couple of parts replaced) I can understand a final popular scheme.

B-25

The previous RAF B-25 turned out to be poorly researched so this one will hopefully be a great D-Day example. 

C-47

I have been involved with this choice and have had a lot of support from another forum member. The previous D-Day Dakota has sold well and having a machine linked to the 506th and Richard Winters will help a lot IMHO. I have already passed on a lot of info to Corgi for this model (though, as usual, research material is not abundant).

B-24

if Corgi can produce a nice tight correctly coloured B-24 then I would hope it would make quite a few people very happy.

Puma

A logical next release and with Sniper watching the developments hopefully a great model. I have been really impressed with the Corgi Puma.

Hawker Fury

With the Gladiator, Demon and Swordfish Corgi have set the benchmark for the inter war aircraft. I am so pleased they have announced this tool and there are some great schemes to be done. The choice of the HAC aircraft is interesting (if not a little controversial) but once it is flying at air shows it will be even more popular.

Gloster Gladiator

Another obvious scheme and I have been pushing Corgi for a long time to get this one done - it will look great next to the Shuttlworth model (and will push up the secondary market for that one no doubt).

Vampire T.11

The Airfix kit proved how popular this aircraft was and the Duxford scheme was, for me, the version that stood out. RAF trainers are proving popular (thanks to Aviation72 and the Skymax Provost) so this will be a good use of the mould.

Sea King HU.5

Again, much requested and it is an obvious choice.

Hurricane IIc

I think all of the BBMF releases have been popular but it is a really attractive scheme with a good history.

Messerschmitt Bf109G-6

A new tool gets another outing but with the cannons - again, much requested.

Supermarine Spitfire Mk.IIA

Such a well known scheme so it will be interesting if Corgi can get the colours right.

Fokker DR1

The start of the WWI commemoration. I am hoping Corgi will do another WWI tool but there are still some obvious future releases with the existing range of models.

Vickers Valiant B Mk1

Another outing for this tool (the 5th release) and I suppose Corgi are trying to get some more mileage out of it. A white Valiant is the obvious choice.

Hawker Demon

A lovely scheme and if you have been fortunate to see the real aircraft flying you will want to buy one.


So, along with the delayed Vulcan and Blenheim an interesting selection. I can fully sympathise with the 'Jet Heads'. I have been pushing for a 'tooled up' Typhoon for a long time and I know there is a lot of requests for a good Buccaneer. I think Corgi will go more 'jet heavy' in the second half. If you are a British collector then I think you will be happy but again, the inclusion of a couple of US types that should be popular will help rebuild the brand in the USA.

What strikes me is that there are no obscure selections. These are all solid choices with schemes that have proved to be popular in the past or are often requested (and not just by the forums). It would be impossible to make everyone happy and cover every theatre of operation or type of aircraft. On the whole I think it is a good set of choices and sets 2014 up nicely.

 Shuttle


No comments:

Post a Comment