Monday, December 12, 2011

Honda VFR 800X launch at Spier.

Today, well since it's midnight, technically yesterday, I had the privilege of being invited to the launch of the new Honda VFR 800 X Crossrunner held at Spier. 

The morning started with drinks and snacks upon arrival, the Honda hosts provided some interesting conversation, particularly a Japanese representative who shared some insights into Honda with us. Potentially we'll see a 1200cc dual purpose bike to compete with the GS1200 and the like by February / March next year.

This was followed by introductions to senior Honda personnel and their presentations and then some history particularly focused on the V4 machines. A Honda RC buff did a presentation on the RC 30 and RC 45 which he brought down from Gauteng.




Then we went for a ride!!! The only thing that detracted was that due to the overwhelming turnout, ride time was severely limited. Onto the bikes then! I found the VFR800X attractive and I liked the upright riding position. It's the perfect commuter with what looks to be a decent pillion position. 



On my first run I thought the bike was a bit dull and said as much to my mates. It was suggested that I run the 800 harder into the rev range. Well, on the next run the group I was with just took off!!! I wasn't left with much choice and the bike did pull very strongly. That VFR800X wasn't half bad. 




I swapped out for a VFR1200F when the group turned around. The riding position was immediately more aggressive. The bike felt good immediately I pulled away, comfortable, quiet and very very smooth. Twist the throttle open and boom!!! You're just trust forward. Now that's bike!!! 

I had to stand on the brakes from high speed. The braking was very impressive and undramatic even though I reckon it should have been very dramatic. Both the VFR800X and the VFR1200F were equipped with ABS.

Thanks to the very friendly people at Honda I had a very enjoyable outing in some very good company. Great day, great people, great bikes!!! What more could you want??? A VFR1200F that's what!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment